KALAMAZU, MICHIGAN (WOOD) – The hockey captain of the University of Western Michigan may face imprisonment for allegedly raping a student in December 2021. This is not the first time he has been accused of sexual assault.

For the first time the mother of another alleged victim speaks out and shares her story.

Joy Lobadi of Kalamazoo spoke exclusively to News 8 on Saturday afternoon. She said her daughter was sexually assaulted by Paul Wash and two other WMU hockey players at a party in August 2017. She was 18 at the time and she played football for university.

“If I tell my story to my friends and family, they will be horrified,” Lobadi said. “They’re like, ‘What?’

She said her daughter reported to the university in January 2018. According to Lobadi, the university’s Section IX investigation, which ended in May, found two men guilty – Wash and the second player. For Lobadi, their punishment seemed like a slap on the wrist.

“They were put on probation with the school, told not to go around it and see it at any time, and they were told to write a paper on three pages with double space,” Lobadi said. “They were given three months to write.”

Lobadi said the players remained on the team after the penalty.

“How could you not do right at this point?” Said Lobadi. “Just for the backlash, for you, if you don’t. Even with hockey? How to bring back these players? When it comes back to the public, how do you explain it? ”

Now, more than four years later, Wash has surrendered on Friday on charges of rape, which, according to court documents, took place at a party last December. Wash allegedly admitted to having sex with the victim, but said it was by consent.

Lobadi said her family was horrified when she learned of the latest allegations.

“I know how my daughter felt,” she said. “We were crazy. That’s why we went forward so that it would not happen again. ”

On Friday, the university told News 8 that under Section IX, Wash could not be expelled from the school while an investigation is underway. In December, he was dismissed from the team indefinitely. He faces a charging about third-degree criminal sexual behavior.

News 8 appealed to the university to weigh the investigation of Lobadi’s daughter, and received no response Saturday night.

“It’s awful that he’s still on the team,” Lobadi said. “I mean, even now. I think the coach said yesterday that he was dismissed indefinitely. But now it is known that this is not the first time. So we wonder what’s going on. The school knows the coach, he’s new, but why do you have athletes that’s their second offense? Why is he still there? ”

Lobadi’s daughter wanted to contact the police, but did not go.

“I think the intention was to go further,” Lobadi said. “But it was just so hard for her, and she felt so rejected by school and obviously without result, that she felt defeated and didn’t want to move forward, which I don’t blame her for.”

She said her daughter was not protected by the university after the alleged attack.

“So these athletes have obviously been there for over a year,” she said. “So, their probationary period and“ don’t bypass it ”ended before graduation. There was no protection. “

Lobadi was just as disappointed with how school administrations responded to her concerns about the investigation.

“They mostly said, ‘I’m sorry,'” she said. “What you want from this and what we have established are not the same.”

After Larry Nasar, a former doctor of the U.S. women’s gymnastics team, was sentenced to 60 years in prison, Lobadi hoped that her daughter’s case would be prosecuted.

“When we came, we hoped they would do the right thing,” she said. “Given everything that’s going on, how could you not?”

Instead, Lobadi said the university “dropped the ball”.

“The punishment was weak,” she said. “They kept playing. Being an athlete is the number one privilege. There are rules to follow, there are only ethical and moral rules, and they didn’t have any of that. ”

Wash was released on Friday bail of $ 500. His next trial is scheduled for March 9. If convicted, he faces up to 15 years in prison.

Source link