Lansing, Mich. (WLNS) last week6 News gives you a comprehensive look at which schools will require masks and which will not.
Ingham County Health Officer Linda Vale said: “Now we will leave this local control to schools.”
The new rules will take effect tonight at midnight.
Lansing County School
A unanimous vote by the LSD Education Council decided that masks would still be needed in the constituency.
Waverley Public Schools
Waverly will retain the mandate for the mask for a number of reasons:
- Transmission rates in Ethan and Ingham counties are still high risk (although positivity rates are declining).
- Preschool special programming students and preschoolers under the age of 5 cannot do vaccinations.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) still recommends camouflage.
- Every day positive cases of COVID-19 in students and staff.
- Current mitigation measures have kept transmission low in our schools.
- Must continue to adhere to the principles of isolation and quarantine established by the CDC, as these guidelines are governed by the Michigan Code of Administrative Offenses 325.175.
Okemas State School District
Initially, on February 15, the district announced that masks would be mandatory, but this morning that has changed. Students and staff will no longer need to use a mask.
There are a few exceptions:
- Disguise at all bus transportation still required by federal orders, including: transportation provided to and from educational institutions, as well as to extracurricular activities and from educational activities. Thus, all transportation procedures provided by the district will remain unchanged until further notice. Presidential Decree 13998, Section 361 of the Health Care Act (42 USC 264) and 42 Code of Federal Regulations 70.2, 71.31 (b), 71.32 (b) (CDC Order).
- Disguise for those returning from quarantine / isolation will be required under the Test to Stay program.
Williamston Community Schools
The board of education of the Williamston Community Schools community unanimously voted to repeal the mandate for masks for 6th graders Pre-K on February 14th.
Despite the repeal, this petition will allow the supervisor to renew the mask requirement if necessary.
School board members cited the availability of vaccines as a reason to cancel the mask requirement.
Do you know a school or school district with updated mask requirements? Email it to email@example.com.