Football finals preview
With eight state champions crowned Friday and Saturday in 11-man football at Ford Field in downtown Detroit, FOX 17 will follow five different games featuring teams from the viewing area.
DIVISION 2 – Forest Hills Central (13-0) vs. Warren De La Salle (12-1), Friday, 1 p.m.
- The Rangers are making their first football final appearance since 1994 in search of their first state championship in the sport.
- FHC is allowing just 8.6 points per game and held previously undefeated Dexter to 7 in regulation in the semifinals
- DLS is the defending state champion and is playing in the D2 finals for the third straight season, the Pilots are coached by former West Catholic and Fremont head coach Dan Rohn
SECTION 6 – West Catholic (12-1) vs. Neguanee (13-0), Friday, 4:30 p.m.
- The Falcons are back in the finals for the first time since winning 5 straight state championships (2013-2017).
- Senior running back Tim Kloska passed for over 2,000 yards on the season with 330 yards and 5 TDs in semifinal win over Clinton
- Negaunee had a season-high 87 points, 5 shutouts and no more than 15 points in any game
DIVISION 4 – South Christian (13-0) vs. Goodrich (12-1)
- Sailors return to Ford Field for first time since winning state championship in 2014
- South Christian senior quarterback Jake DeHaan has 46 touchdowns (30 passing) this season.
- Goodrich became the first-time finalist to win 12 straight games after a weeklong loss to Division Five finalist Frankenmuth
DIVISION 1 – Caledonia (12-1) vs. Belleville (13-0)
- The Fighting Scots return to Ford Field for the first time since winning the Third Division in 2005
- Caledonia scored 17 points in regulation in recent games against Rockford, Grand Ledge and Clarkston
- Belleville is the defending state champion and owns the longest winning streak in the state (24), led by sophomore quarterback Bryce Underwood
DIVISION 3 – Muskegon (11-2) vs. Detroit Martin Luther King (10-3)
- Big Reds return to Ford Field for first game since 2019, the Big Reds’ fifth trip to Ford Field in the last seven seasons
- Muskegon junior quarterback M’Hi Guy ran for 341 yards and 6 TDs in semifinal win over DeWitt, has 24 TDs on the season and threw for 11 more
- MLK is the defending Division III state champion led by the state’s top high school recruit, senior quarterback Dante Moore, who is committed to Oregon
For more West Michigan high school sports scores, highlights and the latest news, go to FOX 17 Blitz page.